Used Computers Pitfalls
Used computers aren't the same as refurbished! Think twice before you buy one… why are they selling it?
- Facebook Marketplace and TradeMe are full of used computers. You may get a good deal but more often than not, you will get disappointed
- "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" (c) Benjamin Franklin
- Some people just want to get rid of their junk. Perhaps, the computer is too slow, has weird issues, or had water spilled on it? Are they telling you everything? If you are a DIY type, a used computer might be fun!
- Most used computers will have issues. You may be tempted by the low price but think about how much time and money you would waste if it needs a repair
- Warranty? Forget about it. If the computer you bought stops working the next month, you have absolutely no recourse
The Difference Between Used and Refurbished Computers
Refurbished computers are not the same as used. You get the reliability of a new computer for less than half the cost!
- We stock a dozen or so of refurbished laptops and desktops. We usually get them as a trade-in or from businesses that are upgrading their technology
- We test computers extensively and replace failing and worn out parts. The first thing that fails in computers is usually the hard drive - these get replaced with SSDs (Solid State Drives), making the computers run several times faster
- We replace keyboards and batteries if necessary. Next, computers undergo thorough cleaning and rigorous hardware burn-in test.
- If everything is OK, we reinstall the operating systems - either Windows 10 or Mac OS, depending on what kind of computer it is. We install all drivers, updates, and useful software, so the computer is ready for use!
Benefits of Refurbished Computers
Buying a refurbished computers is a smart choice and offers an excellent return on your investment
- Refurbished computers cost half of comparable new computers. Instead of settling for a low-end new computer, you can get a faster and more reliable desktop or laptop
- It's good for the environment! Instead of filling up landfills with e-Waste, we save what’s worth saving. You are helping our world by eliminating unnecessary and wasteful manufacturing, packing materials, and transportation of new goods. While you might not personally see the environmental impact of your decision to buy refurbished, rest assured the planet appreciates it!
- You get a one-year warranty - sames as a new computer from a retail store
How Much Do Refurbished Laptops Cost
We carry about a dozen or so laptops in our inventory. The stock changes weekly but this is what you could expect...
- Cheap laptops, enough for browsing, office work and typical home use – from $400 to $700. Anything new under $1000 will probably be junk! Don’t even consider those, read about why you shouldn’t buy cheap Windows laptops
- Mid-range laptops, enough for multitasking, browsing with many tabs open, streaming and playing basic games – from $700 to $1200
- High-end laptops, great for professionals and creative work – from $1200
- Gaming laptops – we don’t recommend and sell any but we can order a new one for you
How About Desktops?
We carry about a dozen of desktops in our inventory. The stock changes weekly but this is what you could expect...
- Cheap home or office desktop – from $350 to $600. These will be much faster than new desktops from major retailers that typically start at $800 and still come with mechanical hard drives!
- Mid-range home or office desktops – from $600 to $1000. These will usually perform better than $1200 new computers
- Cheap gaming computers – from $800 to $1200. These will be good enough to play most popular games like Fortnite, League of Legends, Apex Legends, CS GO PUBG, Overwatch, etc at Full-HD resolution with low to medium details.
- Mid-range gaming computers – from $1200 to $2000. These will run the above games in high settings and can play most AAA titles. Comparable new desktops will probably cost from $2000!