What is RBI?
Do you live in a rural area and frustrated with trying get a fast, reliable, and affordable broadband service at home? We have a solution!
Rural Broadband Initiative (RBI) is designed to provide rural New Zealand households with fast and affordable access to the Internet. It uses long range fixed wireless towers to provide broadband coverage to homes and businesses within range. The network we use offers 3G coverage to 98.5% of New Zealand's population and faster 4G coverage for 95% of New Zealanders. We have a range of data plans to suit your needs and budget.
If you live in an area where you have a cellphone signal, there will be no need to install extra antennas on your roof. All you have to do is plug in our modem and you'll be connected in a matter of minutes! If your cellphone coverage is weak and spotty, then you will need an aerial installed on your roof - but they aren't expensive! If you have no cellphone reception, you will probably need a more more powerful antenna or even two. This increases the costs but ensures that you have the best possible connection!
Is it fast?
4G RBI speeds are usually fast enough to stream Netflix or Youtube in 4k resolution and connect several devices to the Internet.
3G speeds are usually enough to stream Netflix or Youtube in Standard or HD quality. You can still connect several devices to the Internet but probably won't be streaming on all of them at the same time.
Here is a comparison of typical 4G and 3G speeds in areas with good reception
Want to test your current connection speed? Just go to www.speedtest.net and click Go.
Is it available in my area?
You can check RBI coverage below. Just type your address in the map below, click on Rural Broadband and select 3G Aerial, 4G Aerial, or 4G PnP. The latter means you won't need the antenna to connect, making your connection cheaper and easier to configure!
How much does the install cost?
The pricing below is GST inclusive.
- The Standard install (no antenna required) is $400
- The Complex install (with a basic antenna) is $600
If you live in an area with marginal reception, you may need a more expensive antenna or two - pricing depends on several factors but definitely less than $1000.
Travel charges apply for customers living outside of Nelson City - $1 per kilometer each way.
We don't have any contracts. If you are unhappy or your needs changed, you can cancel the service with a one-month notice. You will need to return our router to us though.
How much are monthly fees?
We have several plans to suit your needs and budget
- RBI-1 plan includes 30GB of 3G data - it's great for light users or retirees who don't spend much time online. Extra 50GB off-peak, between midnight and 6am - $115 per month
- RBI-2 plan includes 120GB of 4G data - good enough for most households without kids or teens - $145 per month
- RBI-3 plan includes 200GB of 4G data - good enough for most households, including streaming - $170 per month
- RBI-4 plan is unlimited 3G! That's right, no strings attached. It's only available through us and costs $180 per month
With our RBI plans, you can also get rid of your copper based landlines and use voice over RBI.
- Cheaper than your existing analog phone - only $23 per month
- Prioritized for better call quality and clarity
- Free local and national calls, up to one hour per call
- You keep your existing number. We can port it for $50 one off
- Calls to mobiles are $0.40 per minute
RBI Voice requires mains power and usually not suitable for 111 emergency service, phone directory listings, health lines, and old security alarm systems. If you dial 111, the call will go through but the operator will not know your physical location.
Unlimited 3G plan is also eligible for the RBI Voice package but due to a different technology used, it will require extra equipment - an Analog to Telephone Adapter (ATA), for a one-off fee of $100.
Voice is only available for areas with confirmed good signal. Check above if your address shows the coverage.
We can give you a static IP address for $20 per month.
Excess data usage over the plan quota is $2 per GB. When we install your connection, we will show you how to monitor your data usage easily.
Interested? Give us a call! 03 544 1995